The Lisbon Sports Club, founded in 1922, has its origins in the Lisbon Cricket Club, which started in 1873 within the British community resident in the region of Lisbon and mostly linked to the Railway Industry.
The construction, ten years later, of the bullfighting ring in Campo Pequeno (where LSC had been created), led to its first change of place and the abandonment of Lisbon. Its next home was a property in Algés, where for the first time it boasted a 6-hole golf course. This was however a temporary solution, and in 1914 LSC was transferred to the Eastern Telegraph Company property in Carcavelos. This is where the Lisbon Golf Cup was created (it is still contested today). LSC itself was only officially founded in 1922, when it acquired a land in Alto da Ajuda and 9 holes with greens made of sand mixed with oil.
When in the early 1960's, the Lisbon City Council began a process of expropriation of land in the Alto da Ajuda, the Club was forced to seek a new place to settle, and moved to the Casal da Carregueira in Belas, opening its first 9 holes in 1964.
Later on five more holes were added and LSC survived for many years with only 14 holes (to complete 18, holes numbers 2,3,4 and 5 were played once again – not a successful solution). In 1992 the last four holes were finally opened.